Move over white subways, it’s time for Encaustic Cement Tile beauties in the kitchen
Over the course of the last several years, we have seen the reign of the white subway tile. They have popped up everywhere, from the splashbacks of trendy kitchens, to the walls and floors of chic hotels. We don’t think they are going anywhere soon, however, designers and architects have moved on, seeking a different form of surface covering that is unique, yet timeless at the same time.
Distinct because of their use of inlayed pigment, rather than a painted surface, encaustic cement tiles (alternatively known as cement tiles or Spanish tiles) have had a long and illustrious history since the mid-nineteenth century. A long-lasting, durable surface, these tiles are a wonderful way to impart both pattern and colour. We’ve rounded up some ways to use these back-on-trend beauties in the kitchen.
Visit our full collection here or please read on for more information on how you might be able to incorporate these stunning tiles into your space.
- Country kitchens with their cosy look, homely feel and rustic style are ever popular, and they are set to grow even more popular. They are timeless, so it is no wonder homeowners continue to transform their kitchens into country inspired spaces. The style itself isn’t anything new, however kitchens featuring handmade encaustic cement tiles are emerging as a fresh new look in country-style design. If country is your inspiration, then a densely patterned tiled splashback will emanate warmth and homeliness. When paired with traditional surfaces, such as timber benches and classic white shaker-style cabinetry, your space will never date.
- Coastal-style kitchens really come into their own as the warmer weather arrives and we spend more time outdoors; they are an invitation to slow down and embrace our relaxed summer lifestyle. With a fresh all-white kitchen, a dash of bright blue in your tile will give it coastal-style in an instant. The durability of encaustic cement tiles means you can seamlessly carry through your design from the interior out, and that adjoining alfresco space becomes part of your home.
- Large or small, cottage-style kitchens are designed to feel cosy and comfortable. With homespun touches and imperfect finishes, there is no better place for our tiles. Our handmade tiles are one of a kind and serve as the perfect backdrop for all those beautiful collectables you have. Whimsical patterns are right at home in cottage-style kitchens, and we have plenty of tile designs that meet that criteria.
- Inspired by a villa on the Costa del Sol of Spain or a small hotel in the south of France? Sun-dappled colours, elegantly timeworn surfaces and the atmosphere of pure romance. Our handmade tiles with their rich tones and natural organic feel can replicate that Mediterranean ambiance in your space. We have so many Spanish tile designs to choose from. Elegant, classy and timeless, Mediterranean kitchens have a distinct ambiance of their own. Using tiles with ornate patterns and earthy tones for the floor, wall or splash is an easy way to usher in that elusive, authentic look and create the focal point in the room without adding ‘over the top’ fixtures. Pair with metallic details such as wrought iron handles, metal chandeliers or mesh cabinet doors to re-create the Mediterranean, with a tinge of rustic charm.
- Where function meets family friendliness, you’ll find the contemporary kitchen. As with a modern kitchen, the aesthetics are minimalist with clean lines and an open-space feel, but it also must show a sense of personality. Contemporary design often sticks to a stricter monochrome palate of black, white and grey. A geometric patterned tile in the kitchen as a splash or on the floor makes a powerful statement in an otherwise subdued design style. Simple pieces used in the rest of the space, will enable to tile to be the focus of the room, achieving a sleek finish with personality. Our interlocking hexagonal tiles will give you that designer edge and add a textural interest to a primarily neutral space.
- Sleek and sophisticated, the clutter free modern kitchen doesn’t mean it has to be soulless. However, the modern formula of clean, open, minimal and functional does tend to lend itself that way. With the addition of encaustic cement tiles this sleek design style can have character, be family friendly and even a little bit colourful. The use of a geometric tile design will keep it feeling fresh, modern and fun, and when used on the floor, maximise for entertaining and indoor/outdoor flow.
- If you yearn for a time when materials were solid, and craftsmanship was king then you are likely to embrace old-world style. Old world design is a mix of various European influences, relaxed and conformable, with an ambiance akin to an old estate or manor. Island benches typically stand as the centrepiece of the kitchen. Embellished with handmade tiles of rich, warm and deep tone, lends to an inviting feeling and oozes old-world charm. Be sure to include plenty of old-world accents in to your space like pottery, terracotta, tapestries and heavy fabrics and pay attention to every nook and cranny.
Whether you’re undertaking a complete kitchen renovation, a new kitchen build, or just looking to add pizazz to an existing one, handmade encaustic cement tiles are incredibly versatile and can add a fresh new look to your kitchen, whichever is your style and whatever space you have. Rever Tiles, at home with any style…